Mending Faces Education Fund
We first provide hope with a new smile, and then opportunity for a brighter future with an education.
The Mending Faces Education Fund provides Mending Faces’ impoverished patients with much-needed access to school through scholarships. Children born with cleft lip/palate have a disadvantage when it comes to feeding and getting proper nutrition. The birth defect can lead to malnutrition, difficulties speaking properly, and many other health problems. An un-repaired cleft lip/palate often leads to poor self esteem, and sadly, many children are kept out of school because of the shame related to the defect. The ones that do attend school often miss weeks at a time due to sickness. The Mending Faces Education Fund provides our patients – full of hope with new smiles- the opportunity to attend school, to become productive members of their society, and develop better self-esteem.
We currently provide 16 children (our past cleft lip/palate patients) with scholarships! Below are some photos:
We all know that we are changing lives, but when you see the transformation, our efforts lead to something truly special.
- Each year we award elementary and high school students (our cleft lip/palate patients) with a scholarship.
- The approximate cost for high school students is $300 a year (based on cost of uniforms, books, supplies, and transportation and tuition)- all high schools in the Philippines charge a fee. High school is grade 7 through 10.
- The approximate cost is $200 a year for elementary school students (based on cost of uniforms, books, supplies, and transportation). Elementary school tuition is free in the Philippines grade 1 through 6t.
- Each scholarship includes:
- School fees
- Transportation to and from school
- School uniforms and shoes
- Other supplies: books, notebooks, pens and pencils
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
― Nelson Mandela